Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Weight Change and Two Workouts

This morning I checked my weight for record and I was at 261. This is 4 pound change from last month. I don't really worry too much about the weight. I know that if I keep running and am mindful of my diet it will all work out. So this is another steady month 1 pound a week. Which is fine as I am exercising a good deal so I don't know what type of muscle mass I am building but I am sure it is more than when I was sitting on the couch. If I lose 3 to 4 pounds a month I will be happy.

Last night was my Kenpo class. I like this as my cross training as I have to pay attention and learn as well as exercise. I did take an elbow to the arm pit right were the nerves all cluster together. Ouch. That one really hurt at the time. But besides that it was a class dedicate to hand speed. I do well with this type of format. In the end, I was huffing and puffing and dripping with sweat. Good class

This morning I went out for the first leg of my half marathon prep for the Philly Distance Run. This was supposed to be an easy 4 miler. I did one those Runners World plans that had you enter a time and they put together a program for you. Well the times they want are too slow, who would have though I would say this. But they wanted me to maintain a 16:39 pace for the 4 miles. Well that wasn't going to work. I had to tweek the times so I did. Easy is one thing 16:39 is something else for me right now. So I did a 14:30 pace, this is easy for me. Well not all 14:30. I tried the 16:39 for mile one, I felt like a slug. (It is amazing how smug I have become about my running over the months. I used to have to push myself for a 16:39 when I first started. I really am a humble person it is just that right now this is too slow for me.) So I finished the first mile at 16:30 and then thought about what I was doing and kicked it up the last few miles to finish with:

Mile 2: 15:20
Mile 3: 14:40
Mile 4: 14:20

Good enough I think. Tomorrow is the tempo run which calls for 5 miles total and 3 miles at 14:08, I think that 13:08 is more like it. So I will shoot for that instead.

Injury report:
Shins are a bit sore still the downhills at the Marsh Creek is still being paid for. My heel is tender but better. Amazing that a hard landing can have such long lasting effects. Shoulders and back a little sore from class last night.

4 comments:

RunToTheFinish said...

What's kenpo?

Robert Barker said...

Kenpo is a Martial Art of Chinese/ Japanese origins. It is noted for its quick and complex combinations of hand strikes. I practice Martial Arts on my cross training days.

Anonymous said...

Good job on continuing to drop the pounds so consistently! Good job on the negative splits!

Robert Barker said...

Thanks, Amy.