Sunday, July 8, 2007

Back to Basics

My run today thew me down and trampled by decrepit corpse. Sad state of affairs really. I went out for my long run, not really long in the larger scope of things and not really long for me either (7 miles). But it tore me up, the humidity was pretty high but the heat wasn't terrible but I got into trouble about mile 5. I was on an average pace for me about 13 minutes, nothing exciting. But when I got to mile 5 I hit the wall and the course began to run me. I had taken fluid through the track so I was not overly dehydrated but my body quit on me. I think the short answer is that I had not been making long runs recently. I have been doing mostly 2 to 4 mile runs and working on speed. This is fine but I needed to keep the long runs in the diet so to speak. I didn't do that and I paid the price. Better to do that in training than during a race but it was humbling.

My log for the week was:

M: 2 miles
T: 3 miles (Trail Run)
W: 2 miles
F: 3 miles
S: 4 miles (Trail Run)
Su: 7 miles

It is not bad really but the previous weeks have not had anything over 4 for a few weeks. Not good. The result above is: 21 miles. The total is fine but the way I get there leaves something to be desired. It should be :

M: Rest
T: 3 miles (Trail Run)
W: 5 miles
Th: 3 miles
F: Rest
S: 5 mile (Trail Run)
Su: 6-9 miles

Total: 22 to 25 miles

I am a little disappointed in myself. I know that the longs are most important and I got swept up in improving my speed over the endurance of the long. I will keep this in mind. Staying on target is so important. (Or on message as like our President, personally I don't like the message). I have to be critical to get the results I am looking for, namely goal of 190 and short term of 250 by August 12 (birthday). To get there I will have to train better. I will dust off my half marathon plan and work it up. I am don't like being disappointed in me, it makes me sad. sniff, sniff. I hope everyone else's training is going well.

Keep running... I will be and doing it right for a change.

No comments: