Friday, July 27, 2007

The Best Part of Running

I have written a couple of times about what I like about running. It ranges from some alone time to reflect to always feeling better after I am done. In the end what I really enjoy the most is being able to test myself. There is always a point during the run when I can feel my endurance failing or the desire to just slow down. I am still pretty new to running so I am not at the point where I can just do an easy run and just go through the paces. Maybe I will never get there because I like to push. There is a comedian named Ron White who says that he father said, "that boy's got a lot of quit in him." I like to fight that desire to quit when I run.

I like to reach deep and find where the break point is and go past it. That is what I look for. Can I dig in for just a little more speed or a little more distance. Is it possible to make it to 5 miles or 8 miles. Can I? Should I try and is trying enough? Is it enough for me or is success the key to the question? Measuring success can be a difficult thing and we all have different standards. I like to dig in and give more than I thought I could when I go out to run. That is what keeps me coming back. To show myself that there is more to me than how I appear, that there is something inside that makes me extraordinary. Just like every runner, cyclist, swimmer and other athlete there is something extraordinary just waiting to be called on. When I reach it I feel great, it is the best. To accomplish something that you were not quite sure you were capable of doing. I can. There is a fat man chasing me everyday, but he is losing because I can. There is no quit, there is no too hard, there is only I can. This is why I run. I can.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome insight. i totally get what you are saying. i am not where you are with my running yet, i have alot of distractions that you dont have. Our lives are different, so the focus is a bit different. but that being said, i totally get what you mean, what you are thinking and what you are saying. and i cant wait to get to that spot too.

Robert Barker said...

It is nice to dig in and grab some potential and bring it to the surface. :)

Jason said...

great post man. I have a fat man chasing me too and, as you say, he's losing the race. Keep up the good work.