Monday, July 30, 2007

A great run ... for me

I set out later than usual on Sunday, I am usually a morning runner due to my schedule. But, my daughter was down for a nap at 5 pm and this was the first opportunity to get out. So I set out to get my 8 miles in. The first mile is usually a miserable undertaking for me so I was quite pleased to see a 14:13 in mile one. The rest of run went quite well:

2: 13:48
3: 13:57
4: 13:30
5: 13:58
6: 14:12
7: 13:42
8: 13:39

This really did turn out well. I felt no down grade in energy or endurance at any part of the run. I sipped water every other mile and took an energy gel at the end of mile 5. This cost me about a minute at the start of mile 6. I can't really rave enough about energy gels on long runs. I have used them only a few times so far but the results are remarkable. I find that I am able to sustain my energy much better. I am not as dogged out as the race gets past mile 5 as I was before. With the better attention to hydration + the energy gels
I can really see a difference in my running, a difference for the better.

I think I mentioned before that I am a terrible hill runner. Maybe terrible is too soft a word. It doesn't give those who are terrible enough credit for their hill running ability. I am miserable at it. Today, I did a great job of digging in and keeping my pace on the hills. I just mantra-ed my way through them. "There is no hill, it is flat" "I can, I can" "There is no quit, there is no quit"
In the end I kept pace well enough. The only walking I did was at the start of mile 6 where I took on the energy gel. That is it. This was a far cry from my 7 and 8 I did a few weeks back. I am pleased.

Week in Review:

Wednesday: 4 miles
Thursday: 4.5 miles (with a 3 mile tempo)
Saturday: 5.5 miles
Sunday: 8 miles

Total: 22 Miles

This was a good week, I felt strong each day and my runs got progressively better throughout the week. I feel like I am running the courses now instead of the other way around. Of course taking 30 pounds off since March probably has a lot to do with that. But I feel much healthier and it is finally showing in my training. It is nice. I have a long way to go but I feel as though I have turned a corner. Thanks to everyone who has offered me support along the way, including my fellow bloggers. Your posts and comments have really helped me to stay focused, thanks. I mean it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll say you've turned a corner! Nice job with the hydration and fueling, that's a lesson many advanced runners never quite learn. About hills, you can learn to really like them. They can become your best experience and really produce great results. Don't need to charge up hills, just work with them. Keep up the great running success and enjoyment!

Robert Barker said...

Thanks for the imput. I will keep it in mind on my next set of hills.