Saturday, July 28, 2007

Five and a half miles and I feel fine

Today I ran for five and half miles. Usually when I get to five miles it means I am going to be exhausted. But not today. It was a scheduled five mile run but as I did not get to five on Thursday I added a half mile today to get my weekly numbers to the appointed schedule. I have been toying with the times lately to figure out what is easy for me, or what really makes a run easy? Sometimes I am not sure. I think it means it should be comfortable but not effortless. So when I put my program together it said that I should be looking at 15:00 minutes. This seems a bit slow but close for an "easy run". I thought if I can get to between 14:00 and 14:30 average that would be fine. I would like to scale back to about 13:00 to 13:30. But that might take time to do over a long run.

Well here is today:
Mile1: 14:42 - the first mile for me is always horrid, I always fight the urge to stop in the first mile.
Mile 2: 14:11 - Picking up the pace and feeling fine through the mile
Mile 3: 14: 22 - The pace was fine but I have a tendency to go up and down in my pace even if I don't think I am.
Mile 4: 13:36 - I felt good, no energy problems as I usually get as a run gets over three miles
Mile 5: 13: 45 - This felt like the same pace to me and I felt good with no desire to slow down at all.
Last half mile: 6:32 (13:04 pace). This was a nice finish. I wasn't huffing or puffing. I felt in control the whole way and I ran through the hills without too much trouble. Hills are what kill me on a normal run. So today was good.

It is nice to feel progress on the runs. A month ago I ran a seven miler where at mile 5 I was just dead. But I think I have gotten better. Now I can do five miles without feeling depleted. Even when I dug in on the hills to run and not lose pace I still had a lot of energy left after the crest. A good one. Another good sign is that usually I feel like I need a nap after 5 or more miles but not today. I know that i will be fine for the half marathon in September as long as I keep at it.

No comments: