Thursday, July 26, 2007

Tempo up

Today was my first tempo run on my 1/2 marathon program for the Philly Distance Run. I was concerned with the times on the program because they were much slower than what I am used to running. After to talking to my co-worker A., I decided to kick the times back a notch. I was thinking that 13:00 would be fast but had thought I might be able to handle 11:45. (I am a bit of a dreamer on occasion, I may be able to work up to this I think.) On with the results, I did a 15:00 slow pace work up after taking an energy gel first thing. (5:00 am is really early, most birds are still sleeping at 5:00 am, and most people with sense.) But most people aren't lawyers with a commute. So I have to get it in early or it won't happen.

So I get out on the course at 5:30 am and start my bounding warm up. As I, and others have, said before the first mile always sucks. So I get through and my watch beeps that 1 mile is done. Off I go. I am going well and have to dodge some broken glass. This really upsets me. Why break beer bottles on a running/ biking trail? I wouldn't complain too much about litter. I can just pick it up and throw it into one of the many garbage cans on the route. But broken bottles, that is just a nasty thing to do. There were about three on the road. I was trying to get a time in or I would have at least tossed it aside. But anyway I continued to run. My breathing was a bit hard but I was able to keep the pace up. The end result.

1. 12:13
2: 12:18
3. 12:40 (I got tired)

I finished with a half mile cool down and came home. I think I am going to put a small plastic bag in my belt pouch on future runs so I don't feel so bad when things like the bottle happen again. I am pretty satisfied with the run but I would like to scale it back to 12:00. Well there is always next week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you for the 5:00 am runs. You are dedicated. For your first 1/2 marathon, really considering NOT thinking about time at all. It will make it more enjoyable.

Robert Barker said...

Thanks Amy. I am not worried about my time on the 1/2. But to be truthful, worrying about the time when I get out there everyday keeps me motivated. For the race, I am just looking forward to the experience. Sounds a little corny, I know.