Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Am I fast??

I usually think of myself as a bit of plodder when it comes to running, this is mostly because I am. So when I think of speed it is usually is a jealous sort of way, wow that guy is fast!!! Well that is what a 260+ lb man does in terms of speed. It is tough to get the train up and moving as they say. So when I achieve some speed, even if it isn't fast for normal folks, I am quite happy. I have taken the old two mile run from the Army and turned that into my tempo run. In other words a sustainable pace that is uncomfortable. I am not really up to do doing much more than that. Today I ran the two miles in 19 minutes and 50 seconds. Now to the average person this is pretty slow or atleast a shrug and ok fine. Nothing special. But to someone who generally runs a 12 to 13 minute pace this is flying. I got into a nice grove with my breathing and everything fell into place. I will never catch a Kenyan without a car, but for me this is a small victory, the dreaded 10 minute barrier. As my tempos pick up pace so my long runs come along with the ride as I condition my body for more speed. It is nice to see some improvement.

The question was "Am I fast?" The answer is really, No. But I am alot faster than I was in March. I started running 16 to 17 minute miles back in March and April. The fact that I can do a mile now in under 10 minutes is a great improvement.

Good luck to everyone else... Keep running.

No comments: