Monday, July 9, 2007

Finding my Rhythm

One of the hardest things I have had to do since I have started running again is to find my breathing Rhythm. For me it is not natural to just breathe while running, which you can guess could lead to a short run if you don't breathe. So I have had to insert an artifical rhythm, which from what I have read is not all that unusual. Below I have added some information I recently looked at on an English website.

The Breathing Issue

Most elite athletes use a 2-2 breathing rhythm. That is they breathe in for two steps and they breathe out for two steps. The 2-2 breathing rhythm means you are taking 45 breaths (assume you now have a strike rate of 90) which is slow enough to allow for good depth of breathing. It is recommended to practice all kinds of breathing patterns, just to become familiar with them and to note your body's reaction. Try the 3-3 breathing rhythm, 4-4 breathing rhythm and try unequal breathing rhythms such as 3-2 and 2-3. All the athletes I work with (except the sprinters) use either a 2-2 or a 3-3 breathing rhythm. I personally use the 2-2 breathing rhythm starting the breathing cycle on the left foot. If you use the 2-2 breathing rhythm and you experience stitch then switch the breathing rhythm to start on the other foot or switch to a 3-3 breathing rhythm until the stitch subsides.

Long term analysis conducted by Jack Daniels has found that elite athletes in races up to and including the 10K use the 2-2 breathing rhythm at the start of the race and after completing about two-thirds of the race they switch to a 2-1 breathing rhythm. For races longer than 10k the 2-2 breathing rhythm is used for the whole distance, perhaps shifting to a 2-1 breathing rhythm in the last minute or two for the sprint finish. An important point is that your breathing rhythm will not only tell you how hard you are working but also allow you to control how hard you work. http://www.brianmac.co.uk/economy.htm

I also read an article by Mindy Solkin which I think is worth the time. Ms. Solkin discusses not just rhythm of breath but how to breathe. It is very comprehensive.

I think this sums up the issue pretty well. I had been using a shorter breathing routine where I was taking a couple of short breaths along with a couple of short exhales. This made for a sustainable rhythm but did not really put enough oxygen into my system. I have been using he 2-2 method discussed above, with a more constant (yet shallow) inhale and exhale. This seems to work better for me. I had been breathing in through the nose in out through the mouth, but based on what I have read I will try more mouth breathing.

I would be interested in hearing what other runners use in terms of their breathing rhythm.

Let me know???

No comments: