Monday, July 2, 2007

Can I Keep My Jersey - Paul Shirley

I keep a running book list on the side of the Blog. I think reading is important so I keep the list of my recents on hand. I recently started reading "Can I keep My Jersey" by Paul Shirley. It really is a great little read. I usually pick up a summer sports book to get me into the mood of summer. Last year was the uplifting story of Barry Bonds in "Game of Shadows". This year I switched to basketball. I know some things about basketball but not enough to be called a true fan. I know what a pick and roll looks like, I know what travelling is, and I can spot a foul; however, alot of the technical parts of the game will probably always be a mystery to me.

That said, I have been reading Paul Shirley's book and I think it is great. It is great for alot of reasons that have nothing to do with Basketball. The focus of the Book is how Paul Shirley attempts to get a break into the NBA. He describes his efforts in a self deprecating way that is equal parts wit, sarcasm, and observant. The end result is funny. His experiences playing basketball overseas are excellent and bring back memories of trying to (and not always finding success) fit into a foreign culture (for me I lived in a Japan for a short time and was in Saudia Arabia and Iraq during the Persian Gulf War of 90'/ 91'.) So for anyone who has tried but not succeeded in fitting in another culture you will enjoy this book.

Paul Shirley has cusp NBA potential. He has enough to try out for a 12th roster spot but not really enough to be a starter. So he plays some European Ball as a starter. His recollections about some NBA players are great and give some insight into personalities that the average fan suspects about their heroes. The book is a summer book and not a very serious work but it is a nice distraction and it keeps me entertained. It is good and worth the time.

1 comment:

MLB jerseys said...

Love your blog, it's just a lovely, happy place to spend hours and hours reading!!