Saturday, January 12, 2008

Over Hill, Over Hill

I decided to up the difficulty factor this morning on my long run by running the dreaded hill variant of Pennypack Park. It is just one long stretch of hill after hill. I was hard pressed to ever be able to run them. I think today was the first time I ran every hill without some sort of walk break. I ran from my home so that added some mileage.

9.1 miles, 12:29 pace, 1699 calories, 1:53:38 total time

Mile 1: 12:10
Mile 2: 11:44
Mile 3: 12:26
Mile 4: 12:04
Mile 5: 12:56
Mile 6: 12:31
Mile 7: 12:29
Mile 8: 13:22
Mile 9: 12:39
last .1 : 12:51 pace

This is what the Captain (my Garmin GPS) has reported on my run. But I did notice a lot of variance in the run times today and I additionally noticed that the Captain had a hard time catching up to speed increases today. I will take the Captain's word for it but I know I felt faster on quite a few miles than what was reported. I feel good about today as this was the first time that I did not have to walk this course. It is a hard one. Usually my difficulty factor for a run is about a 3.5 to 4, today I give it a solid 8.

I am tired but satisfied. The 1699 calories is a nice number to look at as well. The other good news is that I am not wrecked. Usually after a long run I need a few hours to recover, not so today. 9 miles no problem.

Have fun out there.

4 comments:

David H. said...

Conquering hills is something many people never do and many people avoid them all together. Congrats on taking them on in a long run! You're off to a great start in '08.

Nancy said...

Good Lord, Man. Look at you go!!!

Robert Barker said...

I am just trying to keep myself on track. I want to run a marathon this year. Hills are great training.

Chief Wahoo said...

Congrats on a great run!