Wednesday, January 9, 2008

7 Miles Tonight.

I am still getting back into the swing of things from the flu. So I took my congestion and hit the bricks tonight. I will share a little story that illustrates my insanity to a certain degree. Let's see if you can follow my logic. I run with a Garmin 205 gps, I love it as it keeps me from having to keep track of things the old fashion way. When I was in the Army during basic training one of the drill sergeants encouraged us to name our rifles as we would be closer to the rifle than any woman. With this in mind, I have nicknamed by Garmin, "Captain." Why, well here it goes.



a. Garmin rhymes with Gavin (for Gavin Mac Leod)


b. Gavin Mac Leod was the captain of the Love Boat (Captain Stubing)


c. Hence, my Garmin is called Captain


d. It fits as the Garmin is in charge of my run much like a naval captain would be.


I also have little Star Trek moments about not having enough power to get up this hill or that hill. I have also told myself that the toilets have backed up into the warp drive when I feel like I am going to just fall apart. But this is all part of my inner geek.

So there is a glimpse into my insanity. So tonight the Captain and I went for a little run with a new pair of shoes. I said I wasn't going to use them on a long run, but I lied I guess. I had to try them out. I am glad I did. These are the best shoes I have used to date. They really picked up the impact of the run and I felt very comfortable throughout the run. Great stuff.


7.15 miles, 1:22:05 time, 11:29 pace, 1381 calories


Mile 1: 11:21
Mile 2: 11:17
Mile 3: 11:25
Mile 4: 11:16
Mile 5: 11:27
Mile 6: 11:52
Mile 7: 11:47
last .15: 11:24 pace


Mile 6 and 7 I had a few issues. First I picked up a pretty strong head wind which really slowed me down. Then I tripped. A little unusual for me I don't usually fall. But I lost a half minute dusting myself off. I am fine, just bruised ego.

4 comments:

Chief Wahoo said...

I don't know how I ever ran without my Garmin!

I feel like I should name mine now...

Nancy said...

I have seen the insanity. Guess what? we all have it in some form.

Damn, that was an awesome 7 miles. I'm impressed. Really.

Robert Barker said...

It's the shoes, yo.

Robert Barker said...

Scott, sounds like you have some re-run bias. (Star Trek has a decade or so on the Love Boat). It is really all about the rhyming. The engine room is in much better order these days.