Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Getting back at it

Tonight the Captain (my Garmin) and I hit the roads for a little more distance on this up effort week. Next week being a cut back week, I am trying to push it this week. Here is what happened:

1:15:01, 6.60 miles, 11:22 pace, 1310 calories

Mile 1: 11:11
Mile 2: 11:03
Mile 3: 11:16
Mile 4: 11:21
Mile 5: 11:53
Mile 6: 11:30
Last .6 - 11:22 pace

My legs were a bit rubbery from Monday, but I pushed through it. The Captain will not tolerate any slacking off. So even though I wanted to stop early for a cocktail, I pushed through to the end. I would not want to see the Captain when he is angry. I will admit that mile 5 was a tough one, there were some ups as they say. I had to push through the mile to get to some level ground. I have to say that I am happy with this. I do feel like I am becoming a better runner. I can remember a time not to long ago that I strived for a 13:30 mile. Now, I get upset if a post a 12:00 on any run that is not long or hilly.

Good and unusual news: I am not injured in any way. Most people take this for granted. However, I have been a member of the walking wounded for so long that I forgot what is was like to not be hurt in some way. I just figured that exercise meant some injuries. But today, I can now say that my right foot is 100%, my shoulder that I dinged falling is 100%, my chest congestion is gone, hamstring injury is gone, back twinge and hip twinge on long runs also gone, basically I am in the pink for a change. The only thing I have to deal with is a couple of old injuries, the nerve damage in the left elbow I received when I elbowed someone in the fist when I was 20 (it creaks and pops ... could be worse) and a broken right wrist from the military (it sounds like rice crispies on occasion).

Up and coming: I have contacted a couple of folks to guest post. I am not going on vacation or anything. But I thought it might be nice to mix things up.

6 comments:

Nancy said...

You are totally getting faster. I remember when we were much closer, but you have stuck with it and are progressing much better than I am!! Good job.

Robert Barker said...

Thanks Nancy, I really can only say that the weather in Philadelphia is the reason. This is a very mild climate. I know people who are originally from here would disagree but having grown up in New Hampshire and wintered in Germany while in the Army, this is mild. Very little snow and temps rarely below freezing. I like it. Where you are ... I don't know how you do it.

Chief Wahoo said...

Your list of old injuries is impressive!

Way to go on pushing through the six miles!

If the Captain gives you to much grief just tell him that the new 405 is about to be released and he could be "obsolete"

Robert Barker said...

I could have gone through a longer list, but those are my long standing/ running injuries.

I will have to use your advice on the Garmin.

Pokey said...

Nice run and AWESOME splits!! I hope to be that consistent someday! :)

Robert Barker said...

Thanks, Pokey. I appreciate the compliment. :)