Monday, January 21, 2008

The coming week

This week is a scale back week. I am pushing 40 and have only been running for about a year so I am a bit concerned about how many miles I have logged over the past couple of weeks. That being said. I have decided to do one scale back week for every two long weeks, at least for a while. With a solid 24 mile week last week, I am following this schedule this week:

M: 4-5 miles
T: rest
W: 4-5 miles
Th: 4-5 miles
F: rest
Sa: 4-5 miles
Su: rest

I think this will give my body a chance to recover and keep me fresh. I also believe this will reduce my chance for injury.

What will happen here on my beloved blog during this week? Rob, come on 4 recovery runs do not have the same sort of built in suspense as your other posts. This may be true. What I have come up with is this:

  • I have a guest poster, Scott from Forging Iron Man. Scott has made a lifestyle out of overcoming adversity. Although not a runner, his blog is really worth looking at.
  • I will post some non-running stuff a couple of times this week. I may do something on motivation. I seem to find it in ample quantities these days without the need to psyche myself up as I did last year (especially in the summer). However, I think I will rethink some motivation stuff and how it applies now. It is different.
  • I will also do a post on nutrition. This is my weakness. I will do fine for a few days and then binge. I will make progress but it will be slower than I would like it to be.
  • On the weekend, I will post the week in review on the training runs rather than looking at the same thing. I will admit that the winter is a less interesting time to run. It is dark and I run the streets so there is less wildlife to see, beyond the Philadelphia crack head, Philadelphia drunk, or the less interesting Philadelphia pedestrian. So I will give a nitty gritty next weekend.
  • In sum, 4 posts scheduled. 1) guest post, 2) motivation post, 3) nutrition post, and 4) week summary.

I will probably keep this type of schedule through the winter. That is 2 weeks of pushing the mileage and talking mainly about that and one week of scale back where I will look at doing some different things.

4 comments:

Runner Leana said...

Scaling back, that is probably not a bad idea. You definitely don't want to risk getting burned out and a little variety is the spice of life (or so I hear).

Thanks for the congratulations. I DID have an awesome time!

Nancy said...

Looks like a smart idea. You've been hitting the miles pretty hard. Whenever you are ready for the 2nd guest, let me know. I was thinking about motivation too, so I'll see what you write and might piggy back off that.

Take care. Enjoy the easier week!

David H. said...

Most training schedules for races call for 3 longer weeks, then a recovery week, so it probably is best to cut back a bit for a week. You'll find that by resting you should improve your time a bit.

Robert Barker said...

I know most training programs call for a 3 up 1 down schedule, but I am being a bit cautious. I don't want to blow my good progress with an injury.