I have added John Bingham's site to my links. I find his website is a source on motivation, beyond my thinking about what Dean Karnazes is doing (which is probably running). John is a regular guy who decided to start running one day. I find his columns speak to me more than others who I don't think really understand the regular guy part of what I am doing. For me, I am not trying to win, I just want to lose weight and be healthy. The races give me structure for doing that. I think John Bingham gets that about those like me. So I think what he does for this sport is great, he gives the message that we are all welcome for all of our reasons for doing it.
I like to run because:
- it gives me some alone time to reflect
- it is a sport I can do at my own pace
- I only have to compete with myself
- Races, as I have recently learned, are a wonderful experience. It is a party preceded by alot of exercise.
- it gives me something to look forward to
- I feel better after I finish
- Out of town races give me a chance to travel to places I might not otherwise go to.
- I like being able to buy new smaller clothing.
We all run for our own reasons, none of them are wrong. Well unless you are just practicing to run from the cops.