Thursday, August 30, 2007

The things we do to ourselves

I practice American Kenpo as well as run. It is a practical art focusing mostly on quick hand techniques and foot movement. But before class I was working on some kicks and got motivated to do some jump kicks. Jump kicks are never done in practical formats but they can be fun. On Tuesday they were not. I pulled my hamstring. It hurt like the dickens, not sure if I ever said like the dickens before. But I have been R.I.C.E. ing for a couple of days (Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation) and now I feel right as rain. (hmmm, perhaps it is cliche day). So tonight at long last I will be running again.

I have been injuring myself for pretty consistently for the past month. When they talk about August injuries (whoever they are and what gives them the right to talk anyway), they are serious. This month I have suffered:

  • continuing heel injury
  • shoulder pull
  • back strain
  • hamstring pull
  • ankle strain
  • and someone hurt my feelings once

It has been a tough one for the old robster that is for sure. I look forward to the fall. It is my favorite time of year, cooler weather comes in and now it is officially race season. I have been struggling through the summer to make it to now. Two half marathons on the horizon. I am ready. I will finish, it won't be pretty but I will finish. My neighbor Jack will give me the extra motivation to keep it up. To be truthful, the last few days have been awful. I have become a bit addicted to the exercise, which is better than being addicted to a lot of other things or so I am told, so I am missing the endorphin euphoria of the exercise. I will post again tonight after my run. Wish me luck. Dealing with injuries is part of the game but I don't like that part.

1 comment:

Ian said...

I'm awful about dealing with injuries. I always want to run through them or just ignore them but sometimes they just need rest.

Anyway, I hope you get past the injuries. Not being able to run sucks.