Thursday, August 9, 2007

Swimming Day 2

I went back to the pool today and the results were fair. I swam 12 laps and managed to do two back to back. I didn't violate rule 1 of swimming, don't drown and still managed to bask in rule 2, swimming is hard. I was there with another gentleman today who was quite the swimmer. He never stopped for the 30 + minutes I was there. He was really good, breast stroke, butterfly, freestlye, he did them all. I was humbled and impressed.

Just a note: as well as swimming I have been cross training nightly - pushups, crunches, lunges, squats, punches, kicks, and so on. I do this for about an hour, then I take a shower and pour myself into bed. The good news is that I sleep very well.

I have been working hard lately as tomorrow is the office trip to Citizens Bank Park for Phillies v. Braves. A good time to be sure. I am a Red Sox fan at heart, but more than that I love baseball. It is a great game to see in person and Citizens Bank Park is a great park. There really isn't a bad seat in the house and there are lots of eats and bars inside the park. I like it, it reminds me a bit of Camden Yards in Baltimore (another park I like a lot).

7 comments:

*lisa* said...

congrats on the 2 extra laps.

I can't say I can empathize with you, because I think I might be part fish, but I totally applaud you. Swimming IS hard work (and it is important to not drown as well).

Keep it up - and hope the heel gets better soon!

Jason said...

Swimming is way hard. I'm in pretty good cardio condition and I swim a lap and its like I'm completely out of shape. Have you tried the swim jogging stuff? I hear that is even better for you while you are recovering from an injury.

Robert Barker said...

good idea, Jason. I think I might give that a whirl in the pool over the weekend.

Robert Barker said...

Thanks for all the encouragement, it is appreciated.

Anonymous said...

hey there! have fun at the baseball game! and glad that you are swimming. I dont like the water much; so i am not a strong swimmer. actually thinking of taking swimming lessons to overcome my fear and learn the proper technique of breathing instead of doing the doggie paddle. One of the things on my list! good luck swimming and i am very very glad you follow rule #1!

Robert Barker said...

I am not a great swimmer, my form is not great but serviceable. You should totally try some lessons. And of course have fun :)

Anonymous said...

HEY! where ARE you today?? its friday, 08/10/07... and i am checking to make sure you followed rule #1! do a post so those of us who worry about you know you are still swimming!!! Will check back later, and again, and again until i see a post. giggle. have a great weekend! LJ