Friday, August 24, 2007

Right around the corner

The Philly Distance Run is right around the corner, I know because they sent me the final race information in the mail yesterday. I know I can do the distance but with my heel injury, I have scaled back any time considerations. Instead, I have looked at it and thought I will need to run about 3 hours to finish. O.k. how do I do that, seems daunting at first glance. Well here is the formula:

This weekend: 2 Hours and 30 minutes on Saturday. I will not look so much at distance as time. 150 minutes of running -- seems like a lot. So my plan is to stash gels and water in my car. Then run out 38 minutes and run back 38 minutes, then reload with gels and water and do a slightly shorter distance. It will be boring the second time but I need to get up to distance for the race.

Then over the next two weekends I will push the long runs to 2 hours and 45 minutes and then 3 hours. This should put me at the correct endurance level. The only problem with running 13.1 miles is you have to do it in a row, I mean it would be easier if you could say run 3 miles one day then come back and do some more the next.

Things I think:
I think cross training is the holy grail for my running. The gains I have made in speed and endurance I attribute to cross training. It really is unbelievable. I have shaved a minute off my average times during my time off from running. Some probably can be attributed to fatigue but I think most of the gains are cross training related.

I think a half marathon is pretty far. I keep thinking 13.1, 13.1 and get a little nervous. I have the ability to do it, but I have never done it before. Uncertainty is the problem. I think I will be fine but I am gearing it up for the next few weeks. Wish me luck.

I know I have exercised everyday but one for the past 30 days. I think that is pretty good.

It took a long time to build up this exercise habit, but I don't think I could ever go back to not exercising.

I think that my weight check is tomorrow, check out tomorrow's post run post (someone should report me to the Department of Redundancy Department).

2 comments:

Obi-Run Kenobi said...

I found your blog through the Complete Running Network and have enjoyed reading it!

As a new runner myself (just started in mid June), I sympathize with your struggles.

Keep focused on your goal for the Philly Distance Run; it's pretty cool that you're running a half already. I won't touch that distance until next year! I'm sticking to 5K's and 10K's for the time being.

I see you're coming to Baltimore for the Running Festival. I'll be runnign the 5K race for that.

Anyway, good luck and keep posting away.

www.baltimorerunningproject.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

You know there is a saying that luck is when preparation meets opportunity. Looking at your race distances this year, 13 is a natural next step. Even if you don't get in all 3 hours in training, your race day excitement will carry you.

I checked with the Department of Redundancy Department and they are also too excited to hear your updates you have to be giving updates. :}