Monday, August 6, 2007

Future Plans and current training.

As most know, I injured my heel and now I am taking time off from running so that I can recover in time for the Philadelphia Distance Run in September. I hope to take a week to three off to set my body right. I haven't been idle though. I have been doing martial arts training at my home more often. Tonight for example, I did 40 pushups, 75 squats, 100 crunches, 60 side crunches, 30 dead leg lifts, 180 technique repetitions, 8 kata repetitions, and 200 punches. When I am done I am tired and my muscles have been sore, so I am working. I am concerned about my wind. There is a famous quote in Judo that the best practice for judo is judo. Well that is not always the case for striking arts. Practice of techinques at full force in the air, bag work, punch drills and foot work are all necessary things to be worked on outside of class. Some people think that going to class is enough to develop skill and proficiency, it isn't. I believe in the Cornell method for this, every hour in class shold be followed with 2 to 4 hours of outside work depending upon the skill you would like to develop.



this guy versus this guy




My point is simply that you have to practice to make perfect. Anyway on to my point of the night.




I have renewed my gym membership. With my wind a concern with up to three weeks off from running. I have decided to add some swimming to the mix. I feel that this will keep my wind up while I recover. This has the additional benefit of not aggravating the heel. There is no impact while I swim and I always remember feeling completely exhausted when I have done pool laps in the past. Wish me luck, I will most likely start on Wednesday. It should be an adventure. Maybe I should rename the blog, hmmm.




Swim to lose or Fight to lose. Fight to lose, that seems to conjure up the wrong type of image. Maybe I should just keep it as is, I am only looking at being out for a few weeks at the most.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the swimming! I think swimming, biking and running are natural together. It wears me out too!