Friday, August 31, 2007

Back on the Run

I woke up today at 5:00 am and thought what am I doing getting up after 5 hours sleep. Well I didn't think much of anything really, I just grunted a lot. But I rolled out of bed threw on my running stuff, iced my hamstring for 15 minutes, warmed up and got out the door. Then off to the park, which was dark (I am going to have to re-think my morning route with less sunlight available in the mornings) but I ran anyway, the false dawn was enough.

I was nervous about my hamstring so I took it easy the first couple of miles. End result:

Mile 1: 13:45
Mile 2: 13:22
Mile 3: 12:55
Mile 4: 12:38

I felt pretty good, I could have done another 3 to 4 or more. I don't know exactly but 4 miles wasn't the bottom of the tank. But I was tired this morning. I worked out last night with some cross training. I have a martial arts test on Saturday so practice makes perfect. So I did an hour and a half. I won't bore you all with details. But I did find that by doing squats where you lift your heels off the floor you can get a deeper squat that works more of your total leg. I read it in a book, it is a nice tip, plus it reduces the strain on your knee. A nice bonus. I don't have knee problems but I don't want them either. Also, by doing push-ups where you only have a 3 inch movement is pretty intense. You can do a lot but you burn yourself out pretty fast.

The good news is that by regular icing my hamstring is behaving and I am running, with a little discomfort, but running. Next up, wait for it, wait for it, .....


9 Miles Tomorrow

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GOOD LUCK with the 9 Miler! wow! keep me posted. Tomorrow is the first day of my 9 day vacation...so i will be OUT THERE! Only been stretching so far, to get myself limber again, and boy does it make me yawn. weird. lol!