Tuesday, August 21, 2007

It's always sunny in Philadelphia ... oh really

It is a wet morning here in the city of brotherly love, but I went out running anyway. It was cool and crisp. It is amazing how things improve with the removal of an obstacle, in this case heat. But I also like to think that my weeks of cross training have paid dividends. So here is the result of my morning excursion.

Mile 1: 13:45
Mile 2: 12:30
Mile 3: 12:22
Mile 4: 12:08

Now for me this is an exciting total. I have usually been a 13 minute runner and more often than not I have been happy to turn in times of 13:30 to 13:45 per mile. But today, I did not feel like I was pushing any harder but the speed was better, this is even on rain soaked trails. The last mile I was pushing to the finish for the last .5 miles. This was not because I was tired but because I wanted to see how I could do. To dig in for a little extra and see how I felt. The answer, I felt fine. I bought some plantar inserts for my shoes, its adds some extra cushion and my heel felt fine. If it is going to bother me for a while I can at least minimize it. cheers.

Weird Running Stuff today:

  1. A storm knocked over a tree at the entrance to the park I run in. So I:

a. went home

b. found an alternate way in the park

c. climbed over the tree

Answer: C

2. There are wild turkeys in Pennypack park, I did not know this. But there was a group (not sure the term for turkeys: gaggle, school, murder) of about 6 turkeys. It really is a park full of life that is for sure.


Cross Training Notes:
I have been logging my cross training since the beginning of August (July 30th really) and the results are:
  1. Since I began tracking I have taken only August 10th off, I do something everyday.
  2. I do two a days fairly frequently. Workouts per week are 9, 8, and 9 for the corresponding week.
  3. the cross training has really helped me to improve in all aspects of my fitness: leg strength, stamina, power and so on.
  4. I have more energy over all as I stagger the types of things I do each day. Swimming one day, running the next, crunches most days, push-ups most days, strength training one day, endurance the next and so on. This keeps it varied as well.

5 comments:

Joy | Love | Chaos said...

You're a better runner than me. I heard the alarm for my morning run at 5:30, rolled over and saw the continuing rain, and made the sleepy decision to stay in bed. Of course, I regret it now, but talk about miserable Philly weather!

Elkerette said...

The official term for a grouping of turkeys is a "rafter".

Regardless of what you call them, I think your Thanksgiving costs might be significantly lower this year after your discovery this morning... :)

Robert Barker said...

shhh, don't give anyone else any ideas. Thanks for the info on the turkey grouping.

Bill Carter said...

I've just now read your blog for the first time and it had me cracking up. You attorneys are really funny people....although my wife who is a title attorney is not nearly as humorous as she thinks. But since she is an attorney and quite adept at arguing(and beating down opposing points of view), I usually give in. I am very impressed at how you are perservering in regard to your running. I've noticed that you attorneys can also be somewhat stubborn (and I mean this in the nicest, most complementary way) and that certainly helps us runners.

Congrats on the weight loss so far and keep climbing over those trees that get in your way.

Bill

Anonymous said...

You're seeing great results.

Is there really anything more motivating than an increase in energy? It fuels our next run, swim, ride, strength session, etc.

Excited for your progress!ht