Thursday, September 20, 2007

Recovery Guilt

I usually do something everyday. It is either running, martial arts, cross training ... well something. But this run wore me so far out that I have only gone to one martial arts class since and nothing else. I feel very guilty. The guilt is good because I know that it will get me back on track. It has just taken me three days to get over the bone in tired that 13 miles did to me. I was simply worn out and I suppose my body was letting me know that I needed a rest. Last night I slept for 10 hours something I never do. Usually 6 to 7 is where I come down in terms of sleep.

Today I feel better and hope to put some miles and/ or cross training back under my belt tonight. I have felt the need to post pone my Baltimore half marathon until next year. I am carrying too many nagging injuries. I think I will need through October to get back to normal. Maybe I will sign up for a turkey trot or some such thing in late November to get me back on track going into next year. However, I keep learning a golden rule of running ... respect the recovery time, it is necessary. I know this is true yet somehow I am surprised every time. Maybe next time I will learn. Nahhh.

1 comment:

Runner Leana said...

Hey, you just ran a half marathon, you have nothing to feel guilty about over taking a few rest days. In fact, you should be taking a few rest days because 13.1 miles is a lot of work! Good luck taking care of those nagging injuries. I know what you mean by feeling as though you could not run the extra 13.1 to make a full. I felt the same way at the Calgary Half. When we split off from the full runners I was so glad I was close to finishing, as opposed to being almost halfway through...