Thursday, September 13, 2007

An evening run...

I usually run in the morning and I usually run in the park. Today, I ran at night and I ran on the streets. I thought I change might be nice on my easy week before the half marathon on Sunday. I think the change agreed with me. I am a slow runner on a good day and a down right plodder on a bad day. Today, was different for me.

Mile 1: 11:55
Mile 2: 11:42
Mile 3: 11:40
Mile 4: 11:36

I believe these are the best times I have posted since my return to running in March. Now I was once fast. When I graduated from basic training my 2 mile exit test was 12:20 total or 6:10 per mile. But that was a long time ago. The fact that I still had more in the tank at the end is a good sign as well. The nice thing was that there is a large hill in the middle of the route I took and it didn't slow me down either coming or going. It was a good feeling to post this time right before the race.

Sunday is the big day.... Philadelphia Distance Run... I am a ready as I am going to be. My legs are strong and fresh, my weight is down, lungs are fine, motivation good as long as I eat and hydrate correctly I should be fine. Thumbs up.

Other Notes:
As I have mentioned many times in the past I practice martial arts as part of my overall health program. I have been in and out of training for the past 22 years. Depending upon where I have lived has determined what I have studied; however, it has always been a grounding force in my life and I always feel better when I am training. To separate my thoughts on martial arts from the more running related thoughts, I have decided to create a second blog dedicated to my martial arts journey. This is part of the same journey that brings me to running but I don't want to bore folks who are just not interested in my martial arts thoughts. For those that are a link will be provided. Life is a journey not a destination, this is my journey.

4 comments:

Mike said...

Greetings from a fellow runner and martial artist. Good luck at the PDR.

Dave Fleet said...

Great run - on top of your best times, you also ran a negative split. Good work.

Good luck for Sunday!

Anonymous said...

hey there! great times on the run! good luck on Sunday. and send me that link! still chugging along at 2miles. will update my blog tomorrow. working the 2nd job tonight. have a great weekend, and tell me all about the 13.1 when you are done! laura

Unknown said...

good luck on sunday!!!