Sunday, September 16, 2007

Philadelphia Distance Run

This is my post race report. I completed the 13.1 miles of the Philadelphia Distance Run. My pace was about 12:40, for a 2 hour 45 minute total time. When you consider that I finished the Broad Street Run in 2 hours and 26 minutes for 10 miles this is good, damn good. I have to say that I am quite happy with the result. Based on my performance in May in the Broad Street Run (I did about a 14:30 pace over the 10 miles) I had wanted to do about a 13:30 pace for the race. But I started out pretty well for myself. The first 7 miles were at a sub12:00 minute pace and then I just was fighting fatigue for the last 4 miles. It really was a good time. The bands were playing and I was able to run some real estate that you just don't get to on an average day. The course ran past the Liberty Bell, the Constitution Center, Independence Hall, the Art Museum (see Rocky) and up and around Kelly drive some of the prettiest running routes in the city.

My Garmin recorded things slightly differently than the course chip. Here is what my watch said.
Mile 1: 11:36
Mile 2: 11: 31
Mile 3: 11:26
Mile 4: 11:40
Mile 5: 11:53
Mile 6: 11:41
Mile 7: 12:22 (hills)
Mile 8: 12:43
Mile 9: 12:58
Mile 10: 12:16
Mile 11: 14:01 (fatigue + hills)
Mile 12: 13:51 (fatigue)
Mile 13: 13:20
Last tenth: 12:42 pace

My watch recorded a 12:25 pace. Who knows why this type of difference occurs. It probably has to do with the watch following just me and depending on how I take my turns can make the course different. It seemed that when I hit 13.1 I still had .2 to go. I will put a variance into the gps next time out.

I have a medal, yeah!

9 comments:

tracymom said...

Great job! Keep running - it's 99% mental and you seem to have a great attitude!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS! i am so proud of you, and envious too. Today, i turned 40 and you ran 13.1. Maybe next year when you turn 40, i will run 13.1. giggle. GREAT JOB, i am really proud of you!

LJ

Elkerette said...

Congrats Rob on a great race!

Jason said...

Great job!!!! Keep up the good work man.

Anonymous said...

Awesome! What a cool blog! I'll continue to watch your progress. You're doing really well! You should add August Runner to your blog roll. http://www.tenitems.blogspot.com. She's very motivating!

Runner Leana said...

Congratulations on finishing the Philly Distance Run in such a great time. You should feel very proud of yourself because 13.1 is definitely an accomplishment. Do you think you'll shoot for a full at any time..?

Joy | Love | Chaos said...

Congrats! Plus, you had fantastic weather! I was in town for the Ovarian Cancer walk and was reminded how great it is to run in philly. Can't wait for the marathon this nov!

Nancy said...

FANTASTIC improvement and results!!! Good for you. This gives me hope. Thinking about a 10mile race next weekend and a Half in 4 weeks.

Great Job!!

Robert Barker said...

I am sure you will be fine Nancy, I did much better than I expected. I only wanted to average a 13:30 to 13:45 pace. Much better than planned.