Sunday, September 30, 2007

I feel like I have been lazy this week

Before today, my last run was on Tuesday. That was a while ago. Usually I run 4 days a week. So being at 2 days is a bit unusual for me. Today I did 3.5 miles.

Mile 1: 12:09
Mile 2: 11:31
Mile 3: 11:25
Last half: 11:15 pace.

Its not bad really. I have been feeling like I have had the beginnings of a cold this week so I slept a little more than usual (read increase of 5 to 6 hours a night to about 7.5 hours). When the weather snaps, I usually pick up a small amount of congestion. I have to be careful that it doesn't explode on me into something more serious. But I have been exercising at night but I just haven't been running much. I will try to do more next week. Since the distance run I have had a bit of an emotional let down, I think that is normal and I also think I am over it. Next week, I will try to go with 3 to 4 days a week. Perhaps 2 to 3 days at 3 to 5 miles and one day at 6 to 9 miles. I don't think I will be doing much racing for the rest of year and I have to get motivated to run for its own sake. Amy over at Runners Lounge talked about this before. I am having a hard time making the transition. I think I will register for the 10k in November just to have something on the schedule to motivate me. When I don't see goals and benchmarks to shoot for it can be hard for me to get my motivation up. I am realizing this about myself.

Today, I also lifted some weights and that was a nice addition. Strength training can be a bit boring but the results can't be argued with. I will have to add more to my schedule as well. Especially not that it is cooling off and the rush of activity associated with Summer is coming to an end. Time to redouble my efforts as the coming winter makes me nervous in terms of my weight. This is the time of year I usually increase in weight. I have to go into January on a good program or I could gain 20 pounds from January to April.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

We could set up a virtual race on a certain day. We are about the same pace. :)

You are motivating me to be better about my diet. That and catching my reflection in a storefront window at the end of my 10 mile race. YIKES.

Hope you find your motivation.

Peg S said...

Hi there -
Don't know exactly how I stumbled on your blog but I am a fellow "run-to-lose"-er. (How'd you like that punctuation?). Down ~40 lbs since last November with 17 to go...
I wanted to let you know that I am enjoying reading your posts - reading of other peoples' efforts always seems to help put the daily rough spots in perspective and keep me on track.
I saw your comment about not having any races coming up, and that you fear the winter weight increase. What about running the "Shiver by the River series" put on in Reading by the Pagoda Pacers? 4 races, 5K or 10K (your choice on race day), the first or second Sunday of Dec, Jan, Feb, and March.
I figure if I sign up in advance, they will be enough to keep me inspired through the winter...
http://www.pagodapacers.com
Maybe I will see you there!
Peg in Lancaster