Monday, November 19, 2007

Cold Weather Running.



Tonight I went out running in the cold after work. I am not nearly as cold resistant as Bigfoot; however, I do have some cold weather running gear. That being said, I did not expect to overheat, but this is exactly what happened. The jacket was just too much. I think I have a lot to learn about winter running. There was a small drizzle tonight and it was pretty cool. So I took a running jacket, with pants, gloves and long sleeve top and hit the road. However, I could not get into a groove, I felt like I was fighting myself so after a mile and a half I took off the jacket. I felt much more comfortable and got through my 4 miles. It went something like this:





Mile 1: 12:25
Mile 2: 12:20
Mile 3: 12:22
Mile 4: 12:33

After a was done I hit the showers and the water was so cold, but that was from my body. I noticed I had a bad case of red belly. The cold from the elements really gave me what looked like a sun burn on my belly and chest. It took me about 15 minutes before I was normal. I have a lot to learn. I will get the hang of this stuff.

Issues:
  • overheating
  • cold weather injury

I am sure I will find out other things to really keep an eye on as time goes on. But this is a learning experience so tonight will go up with them. In the end I felt good. A good 4 miles.

3 comments:

Dave Fleet said...

Hey Rob,

Having run through Canadian winters, I know the 'red belly burn' well. In fact, that's the least of our worries up here - the fun comes when you have to lather your face in vasoline so your skin doesn't crack. Good times.

Funnily enough, I seem to get the belly burn below my heart rate monitor but not above it. Weird.

Robert Barker said...

Scott: When I took the jacket off I ran with just the long sleeve running top, pants and gloves. I felt fine throughout the run, it wasn't until I got home that I had the problem. I grew up in New Hampshire so I have a bit of cold tolerance ... but not like Dave I am sure.

Dave: I will count my blessings. cracked skin does not sound fun at all.

David H. said...

I've gotten the case of the red belly before. Nothing to worry about. I don't think there's any getting used to running in the cold. Weather patterns are so wacky that extreme cold doesn't last too long. If it lingers for a few days, 40 degree suddenly seems very warm.