Tuesday, December 11, 2007

You Know What Day It Is...

Today is that special time of week in my training routine .... it is 10k Tuesday. My run could not have come soon enough. I have been eating far less snacks and sweets as of late; however, today I caved in and then that led to a nutritional disaster. The extra junk calories were legion it seemed to me: the damage 1 mountain dew (12 oz), 1 small bag of chips, 1 payday candy bar and 1 cup cake. I don't know exactly how many extra calories it was but it felt like a lot. So tonight I was looking forward to the 10k just to feel normal after the massive sugar crash I experienced this afternoon. Wow, what an experience that was. I feel much better munching on carrots these days, because the sugar crash I get off of what I used to eat is enough to keep me off the junk. Plus, once I start it seems that I am in for more than I bargained for.

Well on to the results of tonight's jaunt:

6.36 miles, 1:20:32, 12:40 pace, 1057 calories

(10k portion was at 1:18 total time)

Mile1: 12:28
Mile 2: 12:47
Mile 3: 12:48
Mile 4: 12:35
Mile 5: 12:41
Mile 6: 12:30
Last .36 : 13:11 pace

Conditions: It was windy tonight and that really seemed to throw my pace off. I took a new path tonight and that took me up a pretty good incline early on. I felt I did better with the hills tonight that I normally do. So that is improvement. The pace wasn't exactly what I wanted but it will do for now. The miles are what count for me right now.

As an aside, as I write this the new Dawn of the Dead is on cable. Although, this is not as good as the 28 Days movies, funny the English do make a superior Zombie movie (Shaun of the Dead, 28 DaysLater, 28 Weeks Later). But this version is still prettygood. The Romero cameo is a nice touch. The tension in the survior group is really good. I am a fan of the genre.

8 comments:

Topher said...

Good for you, Rob, 10k is a great distance that's pretty easy to work in and you feel like you really worked it when it's done.

I'm there with you on the junk food stuff. It's hard working in an environment where people are "so busy" they go to the vending machine for lunch and you're stuck eating carrot sticks. But it's worth it

Robert Barker said...

The problem is that I can be tempted but I am usually pretty good.

Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" said...

Nice run Rob. I like the new look of the blog.

Robert Barker said...

Thanks Dan, I had to mix things up a bit with the blog. I will probably change up again in a few months.

David H. said...

I think that bizarre calorie loads -- as long as it's not once a week -- actually spur your body into burning more calories because it's not used to it. What you ate might not be the best of foods, but I don't think it hurt. Just don't do it again today. :)

Robert Barker said...

Thanks David but I think (hope) I have it under control. If a small sugar binge every few weeks is the worst I do in my life I think I will be ok. :)

Amy@RunnersLounge said...

I really like 10K Tuesday - it has a nice ring to it and it is such a great idea!

I carbo loaded for you yesterday - did you feel the better. It was in the form of festive cream puff balls. eeck!

Robert Barker said...

I knew I felt better but couldn't figure out why. Thanks for the carb loading.

I like the ring of the 10k Tuesday but I hope to up it to 12k Tuesday maybe a month or so.