Thursday, December 20, 2007

2008 Goals

The past two years I have picked one big New Year's resolution and done great with it. Two years ago, I decided that I wanted to read more than just work related stuff. After a year of dedicated reading I had put away 98 books. It was a resolution so I kept a running total. Last year I kept it up and logged somewhere near 40 or so. But I didn't keep as accurate a count so it is more of a guess. Last year I decided that I really wanted to transform my life in terms of health and exercise. I have done a lot of good work but there is still more to do so I will be continuing on the previous resolution as one year was not enough to get it done. To be truthful two years may not be enough.

Here are the results since March. I have lost 41 pounds, I have reduced my running times from a walk run walk run to steady running an 11:30 to 12:00 pace generally speaking. I had a 3 mile time of less than 11:00 for each mile. I have made good progress but there is lots of room to go. Here is the list for 2008.
  1. Duplicate the weight loss efforts of 2007, 41 pounds
  2. Run 1000 miles or more for the year
  3. Run a marathon, I plan to run the Philadelphia Marathon next November
  4. Consistently average 25+ miles per week (life happens and there will be hiccups but I want this to be the rule not the exception)
  5. Incorporate fartleks, tempo running and interval running into my running.
  6. Improve my martial arts throughout the year including more knife and boxing training.

I do not know where I will be at the end of the year for weight but if I stay where I am I will have a goal of 41 pounds for 2008 or few more depending upon how the year ends. Well there are my early New Year's goals.

2 comments:

Road Warrior said...

That's one amazing year, Rob. You should be extremely proud of yourself. Here's to a great 2008!

Robert Barker said...

Thanks Road Warrior, here here to a great '08