Thursday, December 6, 2007

The Night of No Excuses


I had intended to come home and go for a run while my daughter was at her swim class. I thought that would be a great use of time. But alas when I came home my daughter did not feel up to class so I did not get to run at that time. Needless to say I was a bit disappointed. But things like this can happen.


Bear in mind that reasons for not doing something is merely an excuse in another wrapper. It is the same. We make time for the things that are important, period. This may sound harsh but a man of my ... expansive girth ... does not get that way in one day. That being said, I know what an excuse is because I have used plenty in my life.


Fast forward to 10 pm. I head out for the run (wearing my trail shoes for the heavier shoe, plus they are like 4 wheel drive so I figured they are better for the snow - who said I always had great logic anyway). I wanted to do this run yesterday but felt too sick and fatigued to do so. To make matters worse, it snowed today. Not much but enough to make the roads and sidewalks a bit crunchy. (frozen snow) This is not too bad in terms of footing but I had to be a little careful so I had to slow down.


Here is how it all played out:


10k, 1006 calories, 12:48 pace


Mile 1: 11:34

Mile 2: 12:27

Mile 3: 12:38

Mile 4: 13:07

Mile 5: 13:15

Mile 6: 13:33

.2 - 13:20 pace


The last few miles were a bit more icy than the first three. I felt I had to slow down to make sure that I had good footing. This was a tough run. The frozen snow really put an extra strain on my ankles and feet. When I got home I had a case of red belly and as I said already some sore ankles and feet. But it was worth it.


Rob's first rule of running: you will always feel better after a run than before. For me this is always true.

4 comments:

Robert Barker said...

She is 4 years old and a bit of a handful at times. But she is a great kid.

The Red Belly doesn't hurt is is just a slight cold weather injury. So once I warm up it is fine.

You are right about kid's energy, I have thought about hooking my daughter up to the house and cutting the electric company out of the loop. :)

David H. said...

I love running in the snow and cold. It's always a bit iffy at first, but after a couple of miles something (usually) feels right about it!

Robert Barker said...

I agree, the cold weather running is a lot of fun.

Nancy said...

Great job getting out there! It's snowing like crazy here. I'm really tempted to get out in it.

I bet my boys (3 and 5) would love to play with the girl.