Sunday, October 21, 2007

I finally ran a 5k

When I started this great running adventure, I really intended to do long distances and the 5k never really entered by thoughts. However, after I finished the half marathon in September, I don't really have the desire to go that far again this year but I still want to race. So I have been entering shorter races. Today, I entered the Run for Life 5k, it supports a pregnancy counseling center. The focus of the organization is to help people through faith based counseling. This is the right choice for some, so I don't mind helping them out with an entry fee. I will say that I also wouldn't mind helping out the other side as well, that is if someone chose to get an abortion. We all make choices in our life, even if I wouldn't make the same choices, we all have the right to choose (at least that is what the law provides).

So I ran my 5k, it was not bad really. I set out with a goal of 36 minutes. I can't be sure what the official time is but I think it was about 34:45. That is not too bad, it works out to about 11:11 pace. I think that is rough and I wouldn't bet my house on my math. But I will say that I was running hard for me. I am getting quicker. My first mile was about 10:20 and the remaining two about 11:20 or so. It worked pretty well. If I had been a little smarter on the last part of mile 2 I think I could have come in about 20 to 30 seconds sooner. But I didn't manage the hills as well as I could have. I am still learning this running stuff. It is a lot more complicated than just put on some shoes and run fast.

That is all I have for today. Have fun out there.

5 comments:

Dave Fleet said...

Congratulations Rob! That's awesome to hear.

The first one is always the hardest, whatever the distance. The same learning curve applies to runs as to everything else, and the 'shorter' distances are no exception - I think some of my hardest races have been 5k's.

Congrats.

David H. said...

congrats on your first 5k. One day you'll use 5ks as a speed workout and not a race and you'll amaze yourself! 5ks are a ton of run, and there are plenty of them out there.

Robert Barker said...

Never thought much of the 5k at all. It wasn't until after I ran the half marathon and realized that I still wanted to do a couple of things without much serious training that I considered doing one.

Nancy said...

Almost identical to my last 5k. We could SO run together. Great job!!

Robert Barker said...

turns out that my time was 34:56 (I don't think that is right - but that is what was posted). I recall passing the finish line and it reading 34:40-something. I would have remembered if it was 50 something. Not a big deal on a small local race.