Friday, October 19, 2007

Finding Speed

I noticed during the Philadelphia Distance Run, that I can run faster than I had been. I believe that I just didn't think that I could run fast so I ran slow. I was running and exerting myself so this is not a big deal. But I was generally running between 12:30 and 13:30 pace before the run. Sometimes I would get about 12:20 but that was it. Since my sub 12:00 for the first 7 miles of the half marathon, I have been trying to recapture that speed. I have not been disappointed. Last week, I put in two miles sub 11:00 and 3 miles of sub 12:00 on my 5 mile race. I have generally been running about 11:30 since the race. Not bad.

Today's training run was still good, even though it was humid. I think that slowed me up a bit but I am happy.

Mile 1: 11:12
Mile 2: 12:01
Mile 3: 12:07
Total: 35:20

There were hills on the course I took today and I worked on grinding out the hills by shortening steps and essentially shifting down a gear like I would in a car. I think that worked. I was not over tired at the top. I am still learning about running and hills are where I need work, but I am getting better. I have a 5k this weekend so wish me luck, I am looking for under 36 minutes.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I am attempting to find a little speed too, ever since running 10 miles at a 12 pace ( I was totally shocked! ) I think I should be able to run shorter runs faster than that. I bet you will make your 5k goal!! Good luck!!

David H. said...

Speed is a tough thing to figure out. It's all about how much you can push your body without falling over ... once you get better, your training runs will get faster. Then comes the challenge of running harder for longer distances. I'm still trying to figure all that out.