Monday, June 25, 2007

The Double Trouble 15k/ 30k

Sometimes you are in over your head and you don't know it until it is too late. Such was the case for me this weekend on the Double Trouble 15/ 30k in Morgantown, Pennsylvania. I registered for this trail run without really thinking too much about it beyond the distance. I thought to myself that 15k does not sound too bad. It is after all shorter than the 10 miler I did in early May, no problem right. Wrong. For a city runner like myself this was a devastating course. I am no trail runner and I believe I really should have done more of this in preparation of the race.

The Double Trouble goes the first two miles mostly uphill over tons of rock and tree roots. I had heard that a woman broke her ankle and had to be carried out. I am not terribly surprised by this; however, I am sorry to hear it. I twisted each ankle twice through the course of the race. It seems impossible but the course seemed to keep rising for most of the race. Dodging rocks, ascending, dodging rocks, ascending that was the order of the day. I did not get tired but what I did get was a physical pounding. My legs and back took it hard. I have a great deal of respect for folks who do this type of running on a regular basis. I spent most of my time watching my feet for solid footing, but when I was passed it seemed the other runners did not have this issue. I suppose that after awhile you gain an instict for this type of uneven ground running.

Right now, my finishers mug is my most prized possession. I finished and I am proud of that feat. My time was somewhere near the 2 hour and 45 minute mark, but I finished. Survived may be a better word. I believe I will try again next year.

I would like to acknowledge how well this even was organized. Ron Horn the event coordinator put together a very nice race. The water and snack stops were at nice intervals and the trail could not have been easier to follow. At the end there was a small awards ceremony and tables full of bananas, chips, drinks, hot dogs and more. There was even the opportunity to take a shower on site to wash the grime off after the race. Well done on the logistics.

So in the end, hard but worthwhile. I feel better for doing this race but for this year it was over my head. Next year will be better.

Keep running.... I will be after two days of recovery.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you finished! that is a great accomplishment! weight is 224lbs. i got a new scale. did i tell you i hate scales? lol!

get some rest. you inspire me.