Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Sometimes I feel Smooth ... Not often

It was forever ago that I was a black belt, some 19 years truth be told. I have practiced off and on through my life in various kungfus and karates. Lately it has been time off since 2002. As you all may know, I started up again in March of this year. Since that time I go once a week while my wife is in school and try to practice on the off days as much as I can. Most times I feel like a tap dancing hippo, a bit out of my element if you know what I mean. But there are times like tonight when I feel like I have it together.

Tonight, I could slip, glide and maneuver. It doesn't come often but sometimes things click like they did when I was in my 20's and I feel that I am not wasting my time. I have always felt better when I was training and even at my hefty 260 I still feel good doing my techniques. It is not really nostalgia as much as it is familiarity. My daily routine feels better when I practice and when I can pull it off with speed power and footwork all together, I feel I accomplished something.

It's a good feeling. As I have practiced since March I have had more moments. I look forward to even more.

No comments: