Monday, July 2, 2007

My Weekend

Things Coming Up:

The Marsh Creek Raptor Run is a just a few weeks away and I don't want to be unprepared for a trail run like I was for the Double Trouble. I went and bought some Brooks trail runners as I mentioned before and broke them in this weekend. I will say that I like the feel of the Brooks more than the Saucony's I have been street running in. I think I might switch when it comes time for new street shoes. But all that said I did 3 miles on Sunday and 3 and 1/2 this morning on the local trails. It was great to run the trails. My back took a bit of a beating but that is part of trail running, I am sure it will strengthen over time. I will add two trail runs a week to help me get ready for the "Raptor". I think there is something different about running trails as well, I can't claim any native american blood. But maybe it is something about my Scottish/ Norwegian heritage of running hills and fjords, who knows. But I will say there is something about running trails that is appealing on a spiritual level. I like it.

Things Done:

Saturday: Yellow belt test. I did fine, it was not a hard test by any stretch of the imigination. I have done much worse in my day. But it was fine. I worked with a parter through striking and kicking drills and then onto techniques for about an hour and 15 minutes total. It was nice. There was a little ceremony at the end and lots of folks got new belts. Good times.

Friday/ Saturday: Sick kid. Sometimes the demands of parenting out weigh other concerns. My daughter caught a virus and was throwing up for Friday and Saturday. So I was not able to do much beyond my Test on Saturday.

Sunday: Sunday day: went to Carnival with family and rode some overpriced rides and threw some darts for prizes. Purchases a hermit crab for Emily, it seems a dull pet but kids who knows. She was sick so I wanted to do something nice for her once she felt better. Ran Sunday night for 3.5 miles on the trails of Pennypack park. Nice run, I certainly did like the trails.

Keep running ... I will be.

No comments: